Thursday 31 May 2007

Nerves!

Today I'm making the first of which I hope will be many trips to sunny London.

I'm also making this coincide with a business team meeting which unfortunately finishes before my donation is scheduled to begin. Therefore I shall have to make the excuse that I have a doctors appointment and no-one asks me where I am going.

I am an honest person, I don't like lying - and I certainly don't want to tell everyone in the meeting room that I'm off to make a donation.

Why you ask? Well if you're reading this blog now (and not one of my donor conceived children in 20 years) there is a certain amount of stigma with donation. First of all barely anyone does it. Around 270 people still donate - compared to 450 a couple of years ago before anonymity was abolished. I think the majority don't want a kid knocking on their door in 18 years demanding why they ruined their life by donation. Obviously like any parent of course we want the best and believe me, it's a difficult decision letting someone else bring up what is in essence is your own biological child.

I think most men are worried about meeting peoples eyes in the donation clinic - they know exactly what they're going for - everyone will be looking! But I see it from the other side of the fence - some of those people will be donation, the others have fertility problems and you are making the process happen.

Then of course there is the 'room'. Every man wonders what they'll find in the room. I suspect it'll have a few dirty magazines giving it a seedy feel. Personally it sounds like a good story for the pub, but we'll see.

I have to get moving now - it's almost time to catch the train to get London bound.

2 comments:

Seed Monkey said...

Did you find out what's in the room?

Hope that it went well.

Mark Lyndon said...

How did it go? Did you become a donor?