Monday 21 May 2007

Why

I have been thinking carefully about this decision for the best part of three years. My previous partner was uncomfortable with me donating before the new laws in the UK made donation more daunting. For those who don't know, in 2005 the UK government abolished the right of all sperm donors to remain anonymous. Therefore in 18 years time (and 9 months) I could have a knock on the door.

But, after some complentation I decided that this didn't worry me. After all the donation will be made to another couple whom will bring up and love the child in the same way I should. I guess the only thing I really worry about is the loss of control - I am technically contributing to someone elses life without meeting them. I'm having to rely on the NHS to find suitable donors.

Somewhere someone wants to conceive and generally through no fault of their own can't. I can help them.

No comments: